When shopping for Garnets, the factors to consider are:
- COLOR – this is the most important factor to consider when buying a garnet with vivid red garnet being most valuable, however the green variety Tsavorite which is rarer, an emerald green colour would be ideal. Do not get a yellowish green or a too dark green.
- CLARITY – Red garnets tend to have eye-clean clarity & a glassy luster. However other garnets may have some inclusions. Tsavorites can have some hair like inclusions & demantoid which is the most expensive garnet will have horsetail inclusions which is their distinct feature and adds to their value.
- CUT – it’s your preferred choice. Red garnets usually come in standard cuts & shapes, however Tsavorites & Demantoids are cut in a way to retain maximum carat weight.
- CARAT / SIZE – Red Garnets can be found in various sizes, however the rarer type like tsavorite & demantoid get more expensive / carat as the size increases.
Garnets ranks 6.5 to 7 on the Mohs scale, thus making it a durable stone to use in jewelry. Demantoid, the most expensive garnet is the softest ranking at 6.5
- store each piece of garnet jewelry separately in a soft cloth & away from other jewellery in order to avoid them from getting scratched
- Garnet is best cleaned with lukewarm water with mild soap or detergent. Just light brush it with a soft toothbrush, rinse and wipe. I recommend doing this at the table as your jewelry can slip from your hands over the sink.
- Do not clean your Garnet jewelry in an ultrasonic or steam cleaner as this may damage your stone.