GEM TALK ON PEARLS - BIRTHSTONE FOR JUNE
When shopping for pearls, consider the following:
- SHAPE- a perfect round shaped pearl is the most desired shape & the rarest to find which makes it more expensive
- SIZE – the larger the size of the pearl, the more expensive
- COLOUR - The deeper the colour the better. Pearls are available in an array of colours as different oysters breed different pearl colours.
- SURFACE – pearls are natural gems and will have irregularities or blemishes. Good quality pearls must not have significant blemishes or marks
- LUSTRE – is the shine or reflection of light so the more intense the reflection the better the lustre.
When caring for your pearls, always remember to be gentle.
- Wipe your pearls regularly with a soft cloth as this helps prevent the build-up of oils and other substance. If your pearls have a couple stains, you can use a soft damp cloth & make sure they are fully dry before you put them away.
- Avoid using hairspray, perfumes or lotions, basically anything with chemicals when wearing them.
- Store your pearls separately from the rest of your jewellery to avoid them from being scratched. Wrap them in a soft tissue & keep them in a satin or velvet pouch.
- Get your pearls regularly checked with your jeweller & restring them if necessary. This is essential to keep your pearls long lasting.
- Enjoy wearing your pearls as this is the best way to keep them shining. The natural oils from your body enhances their lustre and keep them looking new.